Monday, May 10, 2010

"But each spring...a gardening instinct, sure as the sap rising in the trees, stirs within us.
We look about and decide to tame another little bit of ground." -- Lewis Gantt


I don't know who Lewis Gantt is, but he was right. The sun has been shining and the birds have been tweeting and I spent most of the day in our yard, trying to tame some ground.
We have this corner in the front that needs some help and today was the day to help it. When we first moved to this house, I spent hours and hours pulling twirly-vine weeds from almost every inch of soil that wasn't grass. Twirly-vines have these crazy roots that poke out in all directions and I grew to hate them. I pulled so many twirly-vines that I was dreaming about them!
But today I've found a new plant to dream about and not in a good way... These nasty roots were underneath the plants I pulled up today - and I pulled out twice as much as what you see pictured here.

This hideousness is the stuff of nightmares:

But I can rest assured knowing that these finger roots are no longer infiltrating the soil by my hibiscus and spreading out into the nether-regions of my front planter. And where there were finger-roots, there is now a calm corner, just waiting for a new something to cheer it up.
Any suggestions on what to plant here?

No comments: