Saturday, June 26, 2010

It's an umbrella! No, wait, it's a clothesline!

It's that time of year again! No, I'm not talking about the World Cup or Wimbledon... It's the time of year when the weather is warm enough to hang your laundry on the line and actually have it dry by dinnertime!
We had to buy new clothesline after my rope from last year got dingy in the winter rain and windiness. This year we upgraded to the plastic lined - it should withstand the weather a bit better. After discussing the "ideal clothesline" with the hubs - and a little search on amazon.com - he ditched his effort to simply hang some line between the house and our tree and went in pursuit of pure greatness.
Despite the loads of crap taking up space in the house and garage when we moved in (we filled a dumpster!) there were a few small treasures - like the large yard umbrella laying against the garage wall. The cover was dirty and faded but otherwise in great condition. Within a matter of hours, the hubs had transformed this large yard umbrella into a fully-functioning clothesline just for me!
First he magically turned the umbrella frame inside-out. I don't know how he did it because I'd fallen asleep on my lawn blanket in the sun.
What I was doing:

What he was doing:

Then he carefully drilled holes in the umbrella frame and strung the clothesline through the holes. Pull them tight and tie them together!


I'm not sure how long our assembly will last but it held an entire load of clothes with room to spare. They're out there now, spinning in the breeze.

My man has great ideas!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's project!
I won't spoil it for you but here's a little riddle as a hint:
What do you get when you cross a plastic wine barrel with a shovel handle and a drill?

No comments: