Saturday, October 9, 2010

One of Those Days

Took the dog for a ride, got a hot cup of coffee, and I'm sitting in a quiet house with soft morning sunlight filtering through the curtains here and there. When a day starts off like this, you just know it's going to be a good one. I didn't even have to wait in line at Starbucks, an event unprecedented in the two years we've lived here.
I have to tell you a little about our Starbucks. Without fail, there is at least one, usually two ridiculous people in line. They're usually in line right in front of me, as luck would have it. Yelling into their cell phone, trying to find out if "so-and-so back at the house wants non-fat or soy milk in their tall extra-hot vanilla latte hold-the-foam - and does grandma want something, too? The blended kind? Or the one on ice? Yes, they're both made with ice but one is like a smoothie. No, like a coffee smoothie...  OK, so she just wants a cup of coffee? Yes, we can make some at the house but I'm here and I'll bring it to her..."
Or they're digging through their massive bag for an elusive dime, only to find a five-dollar bill so "yes, please, they will have that piece of classic coffee cake, but to-go and heated up in a little box, not one of those bags."
And I'm standing there, patiently waiting to just get a single cup of coffee. It's the kind of Starbucks that is never really 'busy' but that always seems busy because the people who frequent it are absolutely ridiculous. They need an express line for people like me. I'll even serve myself - just let me hand you my buck-fifty.
Anyway.
I'm going to pop some scones in the oven and then the issue of Better Homes and Gardens with pumpkins on the cover is calling my name.
I love Saturdays.

No comments: